PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC VOLUNTARY OVERTIME BAN: Dublin Flights Delayed 25th January
Old 7th Feb 2008, 20:44
ock1f

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While i have no connection with Impact apart from being a member, I do feel that by not conducting a slagging match in the press that not only have IMPACT gained the high moral ground ,but they have shown to all that they are a way more professional outfit, with way more 'brains' and intelligence than the IAA management.

Having said that, the two press releases do require a measured public response in order to set the record straight.

A couple of weeks ago when Dub tower and airpace were closed due staffing RTE did a quick survey outside Dublin airport , asking passengers what they thought about the controllers "striking" (ignorance is terrible!) All stated that while they didn't want to be delayed-they would prefer that than having a tired, fatigued ,overworked controller looking after their flight. As one woman said " the one person in the airport you dont want tired and distracted is the controller" And so say all of us-except the IAA management
Interestingly management don't do shift work , are home at 530pm every evening,get to sleep in their own beds,are not up at 4 am working heavy traffic in order to generate income to pay the wages of EVERYONE in company, and im pretty sure they dont do SIX duties in FIVE days. Ever get the feeling of why are you busting your balls when you are obviuosly no appreciated.

Its not like we get a christmas bonus, its not like we get a christmas party, its not like we get health care , its not like we get ANYTHING that would make you feel like a valued member of a highly profitable and successful company. But are we asking for any of these things-NO-all we are asking for is more staff

Having just re-read the IAA's press releases it struck me how angry and bitter the author/s were. The worrying thing is that these took quite a while to write and compose so whoever it was , i do fear for their mental state and peptic ulcer

As a consequence of the caustic press releases it has certainly increased the angry and militant feelings amonst staff. " You reap what you sow"

There is so much BS in the press releases it almost beggers belief.

The IAA contend that staff /IMPACT are orchestrating walk-outs to force management to give us more money. As far as i'm aware the union has not asked for anymore money for the call-ins or overtime. What it has asked for is more staff , and a guaranteed system of call-ins where staff will voluntarily agree to work X number of extra duties per year and there-by guaranteeing adequate staffing levels at all times.
Agreeing to give up X number of rest days per year to help the company meet its staffing requirements would be compensated as would any actual extra duties worked (as is the situation now , except they cannot guarantee that they will get anybody to come in ,-which is the problem ,-leaving the staff on duty exposed to the intolerable risk of being overworked , fatigued and not having enough staff to cope safely with the traffic levels)

Any way I'm signing off for the night

yours as ever
OCK1F

Last edited by ock1f; 7th Feb 2008 at 21:10.