PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIRBUS 17th DEC TELEX 2 DRAFT IBE6463 CRASH UIO
Old 7th Feb 2008, 09:21
Strongresolve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW DATA.

I triying to obtain the Iberia Landing Tables of the IBE A340-600 in Quito.
Meanwhile I have the procedure from the Flight Manual to calculate the RLD.
I been using round numbers.

REQUIRED LANDING DISTANCE A340-600 RWY35 QUITO. (No Rev)

WEIGHT 249 Tons.
.................................................DRY........ ................ WET
Sea Level ................................2034,6m.................. 2339,5m
Incr 8% 6 KTS Tail Wind .............2196,0m.................. 2526,6m
Incr 36% 9100´ Quito Alt. ..........2987,5m .................3436,1m
W Rev. Decr 7%Dry/19%Wet ......2792,0m .................2783,2m

As you can see the Iberia Max Landing Weight in Quito with 5Kts, Wet RWY is far beyond 249 Tons (But no so far), as they make the calculations with reversers, and apply a LDA of 3120m.
Also, as you can see is impossible to land this A/C following the ILS App. LDA 2610m.

Following the QRH procedure, the Actual Landing Distances for 249 Tons are:

DRY 1797,0m the procedure has a correction for rev use 1679,4m
WET 2679,6m with the correction for reversers use 2251,7m

Also is not possible to use de ILS LDA for an emergency landing.
I dont know why, but RLD doesnt mach with the ALD applying the 1,67 increase for Req Landing Dist, and the 1,15 incrs for Wet Rwy. They are very similar in Dry Rwy, but differs a lot in Wet Rwy.

Is well clear that if Iberia/Airbus tables and charts doesnt lie, this is a very difficult landing with this kind of A/C. Is just a boundary operation in landing performance, and this is also a boundary operation in final approach performance, meaning the high rate of descente, the high GS, high elevation and altitude of the A/C, A/THR operation, and how this is going to affect the transitions between the Normal and Direct flght Laws of the FBW Control System during the flare.
As someone has said, you cant expect a normal response of this A/C in this situation. Probably Airbus needs to establish new procedures, as flying this aircraft in final approach manually and without A/THR, and planning a Go Around if you have Tail wind and the Rwy is wet.