PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another nail in the MACC morale coffin.
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2008, 13:46
Me Me Me Me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Scot, I found that amusing

99.99% of anti-English comments in Scotland are light-hearted. Yes, the odd idiot takes it too far but this is not the norm. Generic Englishness is not particularly popular in the same way that generic Americanism is unpopular in... well... almost everywhere really. Individual people, be them English, Irish, Indian or Chinese are generally treated on merit just like any other civilised society.

The reason for regional broadcasting and news media is down to the near total domination of English interest content on 'British' media. It's not an attempt at seperatism (although the NATS(no, not them) do try to hijack it as such sometimes) it's merely matching supply with demand.

If you paid any attention to the politics you would no that no policies that court controversy will be passed in the Scottish Parliament - due to the minority government. They say populist things but are fairly toothless on the big issues... It's like actually having the Lib Dems in!

I can't comment on the specific schools you refer to... I'll take your word for that. However, the education system in Scotland has been shown to perform better than it's southern counterpart nationally on many occassions. That doesn't help you if all the good schools are in the East though, I know.

Of course, a gutteral West-coast Scottish kid who started school in Hampshire wouldn't raise so much as an eyebrow would they?

(... and not a single mention of the Highland clearances... )