PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $48 million allocated to terrorism prevention – worthwhile?
Old 5th Feb 2008, 23:47
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Lowerlobe, no I’m not actually saying that we should continue to do absolutely nothing. I’m asking what we are actually doing at airports like Bourke. Would it be better to use the money to expand the security checking? That is, gradually increase the number of airports where passengers are security checked if this is an effective way of spending our money.

I want to know what the money spent at places like Bourke and Birdsville actually does to help security. What I have seen at these airports is a sham. It is a complete waste and does nothing other than to let the public live under a delusion that something effectively is being done.

The ASIC is the same thing. I fly with friends in America who have a Falcon 10. They fly all across the United States, sometimes with me, and they have no ASIC equivalent. It is just not required and the US is the country of September 11.

It seems to me that this new Government and new Minister should re-look at how we are spending these resources, and rather than putting up wire fences at Birdsville, use some of the money saved to put in an x-ray machine at an airport which still does not have one.