PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC Renewal
Thread: ASIC Renewal
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2008, 08:49
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Binghi,
I don't think I am taking on defence of the ASIC requirement in principle rather just trying to quash some of the misconceptions around the issuing process. Unfortunately there are a few steps in the system which would allow each organisation to point the finger elsewhere to lay blame for the inordinate delays.
Sure the system is flawed as are several other elements of the Aust Transport Security Regs and many of those have been discussed previously. But in light of the current security climate I believe there would be little likelihood of any government loosening the requirements. What we should be striving for are perhaps things like increasing ASIC validity from 2 to 5 years and lowering the cost.

Lasiorhinus,
Yes mate in a perfect world the government should be afraid of the people who elect it to power. In this situation though, perhaps a greater number of those people demand to see that the govt is taking appropriate security measures for their protection. Despite the fact that those of us at the coal face see that many of those measures ineffective, unnecessary or just plain stupid.

PyroTek,
over two and a half months from date of submission to actual receipt
The quickest organisation should be AviationID Australia as they are one of the few that are an issuing authority and have their own printing equipment. Many of the other organisations that have the equipment will print cards on behalf of other authorities but only process applications for people directly employed with them. Hence the reason CASA was lumbered with processing pilot ASICs. Whether CASA invested the small fortune required for the printer, I'm not sure.

There is perhaps another alternative to issuing ASICs on the horizon. How much the cost will be per card is unknown at this stage but they are determined to get the things out quickly and with AUSCHECK having better turnaround times for security clearances it might be more attractive to the pilot fraternity. But yes you WILL still have to submit the same identification paperwork with each application. That is the Department of Infrastructure's (formerly DOTARS) ruling and not the issuing bodies.

Last edited by Islander Jock; 5th Feb 2008 at 21:02. Reason: Misspelt name for Lasiorhinus