PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIRBUS 17th DEC TELEX 2 DRAFT IBE6463 CRASH UIO
Old 4th Feb 2008, 20:11
Engine3firehandle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There a lot of things to remember with high altitude airports and especially the A346.

GS times 5 gives you a very high sinkrate of almost 1000fpm. In my company this is the max allowed anyway (1000fpm).

Next problem is the pitch at touchdown without a tailstrike. If you try to continue on the visual glide and try to dugunder in no time your sink rate is at 1400 fpm. Reducing or breaking the sinkrate is the next problem. if you adjust the pitch to an +2 or more degrees over the normal attitude of your approach attitude. You just lost almost all of your pitch you got for doing a break and also beforehand your thrust was decreasing, because you are leaving the G/S to dugunder and the A/T systems things you got access power and reduces thrust. The autothrust is very slow in the reaction and I wouldn´t have used it in such an enviroment. ( But airbus thinks different about it )

So maybe the thrustsetting was not very high at touchdown and just the weight of the a/c was still pushing.

Do you know your powersetting by heart at 10.000 feet PA and please do not forget the adjustment for the DA ?
The power setting should have been way higher then a normal powersetting at the regular approaches. To ensure a safe touchdown this is an imminent information you got to think about beforehand.

You pull the power at 50 feet, the engine is spooling down faster then normal and your break because of the thin air has to be stronger or earlier. Stronger break means higher tailstrike risk. Powercut too early or too fast means hard landing. Too late means more landing distance.

The time between early or late is maybe a second.

If they did the break as normal, the a/c had to hit the runway hard.

I would like to know, if they have high altitude operation training in the sim missions at Iberia ?

This operation has definetely a very difficult landing and would have made me grey hair during my trip to the destination.

I just checked the data for my current jet and had to find out, that we do not have data for it. It stops at 8000feetPA.