PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Greens?
Thread: Three Greens?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 23:50
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True on older CAR 3 certified Bonanzas...as in yours and mine FTDK...not sure of the later FAR23 certified A/G36s etc...the earlier Bonanzas originally only had a single green light and the '3 green' cluster is just a different display wired (in series) to the same system...so any one green means all wheels must be down and locked.

Of course you would back that up with a reduction in MP to check no warning horn as well.

A few years ago while on a Christmas trip in mine I selected gear down and only got 2 greens, nose and left main. Having checked the horn didn't go off after reducing the MP below where I knew it would go off I landed normally with no worries.

I was really impressed when my teenage daughter leaned forward from row two and brought my attention to the lack of a green on the right main...I had already noticed of course but it was REALLY nice to see her taking some interest. I explained it all and she sat back with nary a care while we landed.

A good reason to regularly check your gear warning horn by reducing MP on descent until it goes off and noting the MP where that happens...they all vary a bit...particularly in a rented aircraft you may not have flown before/for a long time.

Also a good example of why systems knowledge is a good thing...better than having a simple busted globe run your day by running stress levels up to the point where a silly mistake can happen.