PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Aborted Landing in Bilbao
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 08:29
flyer146

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus FBW

It is true that, with the AP disengaged, neutral side-stick on the A320 family normally gives zero roll-rate. Deflecting the stick to left or right commands a rate of roll (proportional to the deflection). In the event of a sudden side gust or yaw, however, the A/C rolls rather like any other. Once it has been rolled, say, 15 degrees to the left, it will stay there unless the pilot uses side-stick to pick the wing up (effectively by calling for a roll-rate to the right).

The difference from a traditional A/C is: once you have achieved the desired bank angle (zero, in this case), you remove pressure from the side-stick, whereupon the FBW will stop the A/C rolling (probably using a momentary bit of left aileron).

1. Congratulations to the pilots involved in this landing at Bilbao. They did what was required and show very good pilot skills in my opinion !

2. Concerning the above text mentionned by Chris Scott about roll rate :
In my opinion you are very wrong !

In the 330-340 aircrafts; the flight control "NORMAL LAW" reverts ("blend in") to "DIRECT LAW" once below 100ft RA if I remember well.
Is this different on the 320 ? I would really doubt about this (same family of aircrafts).
You are referring to "roll rate" command which is the case in "NORMAL LAW" (above 100 ft RA) but in "DIRECT LAW" (during landing and t/o - below 100ft), the side stick inputs are commanding surface deflection (angle of deflection)- hence "DIRECT" called.
Very very much like in conventional aircrafts !!
You need bank to correct ? Just bank like in any aircraft : the stick input you give will correspond to an angle of deflection of the ailerons, no more no less.
This permitting to give more natural feeling of the handling of the aircraft during those difficult phases.
These "flight control law" changes are not announced in the cockpit but part of theoretical knowledge and part of the flt ctl software.

Anyone to comment on this ? to confirm or refute ?

Thanks !

Be positive please, how can you give such negative critics (some of you) without having been in the cockpit of this aircraft on that day ??? !!!

cheers

flyer146