PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating in theUK?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 13:05
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed; it should be competence based. I actually don't think this is the #1 political issue, anyway.

The FAA IR has 15hrs min dual training, which is as close to "competence based" as one will get, since it is absolutely impossible to reach the checkride standard in that time.

This is good because there is implicit acceptance of previous instrument training.

So, e.g. a UK IMCR holder who is good and current and has a lot of his own IFR time, can go to the USA and finish the FAA IR with say another 20hrs' flight training. Very efficient.

I think a new EASA IR will also have something along these lines, but the latest I know is that it is 1-2 years away.

In the meantime, the best "upgrade route" is the FAA IR and then come back to Europe, go to Switzerland, and do the JAA IR which in Switzerland requires zero flight training if you already hold an ICAO IR. In the UK you have to do 15hrs which isn't bad either - a week's flying and a chance to suss out what the examiner will be looking for, from the instructor who knows him