PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NA Pax F/O's
Thread: NA Pax F/O's
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2008, 23:37
Busdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And you're (note spelling) surprised? Been here 13 years and I've learned that they move goal posts; now they keep changing the game.
Were I to do it again, I would not have joined this mob. Friends of mine left within a few months of joining to go to AC, BA and Virgin back in '94. They now have pensions and career protection. When you join as a young man/woman, pensions aren't that important to you. Crunch some numbers, put in inflation, date of death and expected retirement age etc and look at the number required to retire. It's probably more than you think. (It could be less depending on your current assets)
I know others have said it before but here's what we have to do:
1) Don't answer your phone if you are not required to work;
2) Don't join check and training. It's an appointment, you don't get any more bars to put on your pygamas at night. Teach your S/O's for free. You're a Captain, pass on anything you know. I'm not asking the current Check or Trainers to do anything, carry on as normal. But please don't anyone else join.
3) Join the AOA. If you don't agree with things, vote it out as is your right. It works as a nation as well. You may not like your leader at the time but in the end, democracy, with all it's flaws is the only way to go.
4) Look beyond yourself. Working on a G day is not right. Trust me, I need the money more than most (wives,kids, illnesses). I've given up days to be at home only to watch other guys take the money. It only hurts us in the long run, but you have to have the vision to see that far.
5) I wouldn't call in sick if I weren't. You are a professional, so please always act like one. If you are sick, don't come in, you're not doing anyone any favours.
6) Never leave HK going into discretion, its our home base. That's not the point of discretion. If you're going home, use discretion as long as you and the crew are fit and able. Remember, the cabin crew work harder on the ground during delays than they do during the flight when everyone's asleep.
Standing by to be flamed.
Cheers