PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating in theUK?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2008, 16:43
frog_ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks mmflynn for your answers.

Just one question :
"4 - Interestingly a UK PPL (without IR or IMCr) is allowed to fly IFR in Class G (most of the airspace he would use) and is EVEN allowed to fly in some types of IMC. Specifically, does not need to observe the cloud separation minima of VFR."

Are you sure of that ? (maybe I do not understand)
You mean in UK a PPL can fly IMC in class G ?
I'm sorry but this is non-ICAO and I'm very surprised of that.
VMC conditions definition is different in class G, but "in clouds" it is certainly not allowed. Only "out of clouds" in very low levels, but you always have to keep your 1500m/30s vis distance ahead (not easy to evaluate in flight !).
Could you confirm ?

Wow homeguard, how fine you are ! :-)
I feel better now after your fine analyze of my psychology !

I'm probably afraid of flying and scared before and after any flight, you're right !

I fly and teach tailwheels very often, vintage airplanes, aerobatics, mountain flying, gliders, I teach ultralight as well as actual IMC to beginners (which requires a lot of concentration), so I think I'm not "afraid" of flying.
Just attentive and cautious, as any pilot should be, because I know I'm just human and can make mistakes (and I did sometimes), and the other can too.
Don't think I'm arrogant, I'm not a good pilot. Not the finest, not the best at all. I just do my best to make more good decisions than silly actions, and this is not always easy, as you all know.

About arrogance and humility, I did not speak about that because I did not want to embarrass some IMC-rated pilots here which are probably very fine and humble, but I'm sorry to say that those I met, requesting a "quick IR training", were most of the time arrogant and not as skilled as they believed they were...

Dublinpilot : there is no contradiction in what I say. I flew JAA IR as well as FAA IR, and you know what ?
The airplane flies the same !
Same lift, same air, same clearances, you see no difference once you are rated. And in both cases, you are responsible for maintaining your skills by recurrent training.

I do not change my point of view, and for me, intentional IMC flight implies Instrument Rating, whatever FAA or JAA I do not care.
IMC basic flying (what you call IMC rating) should be taught to all pilots, on safety purpose, but not allow them to enter IMC intentionaly.

This is only my own humble position.

I hoped they would modify the JAR IR, but they did not.
So now I believe the FAA IR is the key solution for JAR pilots, until they do something for us with a JAA IR.

Just listen to frequencies : more and more N-reg.
This is the proof that EASA has completely failed.

Don't you want a real IR, more accessible, instead of this half-IMC thing ?
That's what you should fight for, with us, not for an IMC rating !

And we should also fight to improve the PPL training, and add more IMC stuff in it, to improve safety.

Frog, in and out of internet

Last edited by frog_ATC; 1st Feb 2008 at 17:08.