PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating in theUK?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2008, 08:21
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Babies and bathwater

Hi frog ATC,

First of all, let me say how delighted I am to see posts from an ATCO on the other side of the Channel, who has experience of handling Brit private flyers in French airspace. I've often wondered how we are seen by people over there. (I wonder if you could be tempted to write an article for one of the UK private flying magazines: now that would be good).

On Pprune, we tend to see a fair number of very interesting posts from other English speaking countries, (US, Aussie, Canada, etc), but few from our immediate non English speaking neighbours in whose airspace we do a fair amount of flying.

I have understood the points you have made perfectly. (Your English is splendid, don't let anybody here tell you otherwise).

I think the only point I would make by way of reply would be to say that in any field of human endeavour standards of both training and of personal conduct are going to be variable. Flying is no different.

We recently read an account of a JAA qualified commercial pilot who didn't know that wind direction is expressed in terms of the direction the wind comes from, not the direction in which it is travelling! He was apparently sent for 'retraining'.

An instructor told me of an IMC holder on a revalidation checkride who, on being asked to pick up a particular radial from a VOR beacon, failed to find the radial and just continued round in a complete circle looking for it!

But to infer from encounters with a minority of under-performers that the qualification they have should be abolished is like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Perhaps what we need is better means of reporting these irresponsible people and getting them prosecuted and their IMC ratings removed.

I do hope more people from 'over there', ATCOs and others, will be encouraged to talk to us on Pprune, not only from France, but Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, etc. Do please stay with us.

Regards,

BroomstickPilot.