PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating in theUK?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2008, 21:35
frog_ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a very big mistake.

Being a VFR in IMC is one thing.
You may be trapped by weather, or whatever.
You are non legal, that's a point.

But being a VFR in IMC, and telling the ATC that you are VMC, that is the most stupid thing I've ever seen (quite often, unfortunately).

Acting that way if being a killer, there is no other word for that. Those liars in VFR are the most dangerous thing I could meet when flying IFR, or when working at the tower.

I'm always anxious about them, especially since I met some of some "more nearby than needed". And the problem becomes bigger now that they have great GPS, TCAS and beautiful Cirrus with autopilot : those VFRs really think they are Kings in the Sky, like this stupid guy that nearly killed my husband in his SR22.

I prefer the pilot that tells me he's IMC. On the example given below, the point that makes me angry is that the guy answered very calmly, like if it was something absolutely natural "Yes I'm VFR and IMC, by the way, do you want a cup of tea ?".

But some of them lie, yes, most of the time.
With a 500ft ceiling, top of clouds 6000 ft, my airliners and IFR all in the soup at all levels, this stupid VFR at 3000 feet will tell me "oh yes, we are VMC".
One of them told me one day "Oh no, not IMC, just in and out of clouds".
!!!

If one day you're VFR and IMC when you did not expect to, and moreover, in controlled airspace, but even in uncontrolled airspace, the first thing you should do is TELL THE ATC.

This is the only way we can handle the situation, by knowing what's happening.

But this should be an exception, a very rare situation when you are trapped by weather, not happen to you every two days when you fly VFR !

Because if you are not able to check weather before your flight without being trapped in clouds each time they build, and without being able to evaluate in flight that things are going the wrong way when it becomes obvious, then stop flying... there are other funny activities for you !

The angry Frog

PS : You think that VFR pilots all over the World fly IMC without telling anybody. Not me. I've been flying 12 years before getting my instrument rating, and during these 12 years with more than 100 h/year average,, summer and winter, I never entered IMC. Maybe one day I'll be trapped, but I'll my best not to be trapped, and I trained all my students to do so... and I also told them, if one day they are trapped, how to handle that, and how to query ATC immediately.