PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia-Tell me it aint true! (Merged Thread)
Old 31st Jan 2008, 20:34
ennui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Australian real nett disposable income per capita for 2006 (can't find the latest figures - sorry) was A$37000pa and pilots are balking at earning
between +- A$80 000 pa (FO) - A$200 000 pa (Captain) that is going to go down well with the general population. Tell them they have to pay more for their tickets so that pilots can earn more, mmm.
mmmmm? Last job in Oz before departing for the grass over the fence that was just as brown (and a lot sandier) was about 100k. With the kids about to go to school, mortgage, car repayments, taxation, medicare levy and hidden tariffs and protectionism we were lucky to be a dollar in the black at the end of the month.

Could not see a way to give a better opportunity for my kids than my parents did for me, and that is ALL that my wife and I attempt to do! Retirement was a plan I had absolutely no disposable income to devote to.

Good luck to any immigrants who hope for a FINANCIALLY SECURE future in the country I can no longer afford to live in but will now retire comfortably to.

I understand (as the son of a post war immigrant) that you are considering a safe and secure country for your families. My heart goes out to you. I know you love your country, and it hurts deeply to leave it. When you see the future of South Africa written in the current situation in Zimbabwe it makes sense to go to a place with a similar culture where you will be safe and accepted.

Consider though the thoughts and feelings not only of the financial refugees like myself, wife and family, but also of those young, eager and talented young guys working themselves up from sweeping hangar floors, refueling aircraft in the heat dust and flies, loading freight and doing a hundred menial tasks in order to one day do the job that you are going to take from them.

In the short term all you are doing is driving down terms and conditions. In the long term you are going to do long term damage to our industry by removing any incentive young people have to aspire to be an airline pilot.

Once you have your residency for your families and a safe and secure first world country to base yourselves in I guess we'll see you back OS where the money is.