PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia-Tell me it aint true! (Merged Thread)
Old 31st Jan 2008, 16:44
loveflying737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. We just don't need you. And I can't believe there isn't a rage ( yet ) on the use of cheap South African pilots.

For very little investment, Virgin can get all the pilots it needs. And they would be Australians. Whether they be repatriated skills from the likes of EK & CX for experience; or the investment by way of an endorsement for the thousands of other Australian pilots.

Virgin just want to pay bottom dollar. And that's where the South Africans come in.

Our immigration policy should be directed toward a genuine skills shortage. Talent that takes years to develop or involves excessive short term investment for industry.

And Australian pilots isn't one of them!

All Australian pilots should start writing to politicians. Who's the Immigration Minister these days?

The Australian real nett disposable income per capita for 2006 (can't find the latest figures - sorry) was A$37000pa and pilots are balking at earning
between +- A$80 000 pa (FO) - A$200 000 pa (Captain) that is going to go down well with the general population. Tell them they have to pay more for their tickets so that pilots can earn more, mmm.

Let me help you out here - your Minister for Immigration and Citizenship is Chris Evans and your Minister for Employment and Workplace Relations is Julia Gillard.

There is such a fuss being made about VOz possibly employing South African pilots and to date not one has even been interviewed. Given that VOz does not offer 457 visas (at this stage) - by my count there are less than 10 South African pilots who could apply. They would hold permanent residence visas to work in Australia so could hardly be discounted.

You repeatedly mention "cheap South African" pilots - I am not sure what makes them cheap. Are you so sure that they will undersell themselves.
Why don't you wait to see who is actually employed before making all this fuss.

As I get the feeling that the word xenophobia might apply here I will not post on this topic any further.

Good luck to all who apply to VOz - once I have some time on type and my visa is in order I certainly will apply.