PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia-Tell me it aint true! (Merged Thread)
Old 30th Jan 2008, 08:03
loveflying737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As to the SA contingent, I don't think most would object to new immigrants getting jobs. But given that a DEC with V Oz is arguably the second best job in the local industry after a QF LH CPT, if they think they (or Aussie expat 777 drivers for that matter) can come in and take those positions without treading on a few toes, they have to be deluded. That is just an observation, not a comment about whether it is right or wrong.
Have to agree that the DEC job with VOz ranks right up there. I believe you are also right that most would have no objection to expat pilots / SA pilots being employed as long as they fulfilled the residence and licence requirements.

I do think that all propective applicants are going to have to accept that VOZ is going to take the people they feel will be best for the operation. If the pilots who are Australian citizens / permanent residents and hold Australian ATPs are given first bite at the apple, surely that should satisfy the masses. I don't think that expat Aussie pilots or recently immigrated permanent residents should (or will) be discriminated against.

In reality whenever a person is offered any position ahead of another there is a certain amount of ill feeling. I am sure that the pilots who are fortunate enough to get the jobs won't be too concerned as they will be working with other pilots as fortunate as themselves - they can then choose who they drink beer with.

Last edited by loveflying737; 30th Jan 2008 at 09:10.