PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2008, 07:40
Variable Load

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
nbl, please stop talking speculative cr*p! You said:

I could see two scenarios:

1. North sea hero pilot saves everyone- AAIB said despite no oil in gearbox pilot managed to fly 15 minutes to rig and land safely. Medal from the Queen on Saturday.
2. Everyone dies on helicopter- AAIB says pilot blatantly disregarded the check list- that was the cause of the tragedy -parents are forming a committee of lawyers to sue operator. Why were procedures not followed?

Jack - S92 -from what I read in these threads it does NOT have a dry run capability- hence Land Immediately.

I can tell you that they gearbox did not loose it's oil. I can tell you that the S92 FM does not say to Land Immediately with low MGB oil pressure, the Land Immediately comes into play when secondary indications of impending gearbox failure are present, such as unusual noises, smoke in cabin, etc. I do not have access to the EC225 FM but I suspect it will also say something similar. The 225 30 minute capability is at Vy, followed by a Land Immediately. With low oil pressure in the S92 there is no such limitation, it is continue flight and Land ASAP.

NL's comments were also way off the mark and I suspect 212man will be back with a few comments of his own when he has the time. There are obviously some pretty weak elements in the S92 design, one being when the pilot gets an INPUT CHIP caption when there is no chip, but only hot oil