PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No seniority list..how does it work?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2008, 20:37
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The months passed and suddenly retirement age was put up to 65, a couple of 767 where sold, whoops I missed the boat.
Not on the 737. If you had bid for it when the opportunity arose then you would have been looked at before anyone less senior/ direct entry. Many didn't due to lifestyle choices (not wanting to lose their 767 longhaul) and that was their choice. You can't have it both ways......the company needed 737 captains and not enough guys were bidding internally, hence they took some direct entry, then the union bleated (and rightly so) and those who had been passed over previously were given another shot. I admit that everything wasn't as clear and above board as perhaps we would have all liked it to be, but the commands had been there for some time..........Plus of course, businesses change. You can't complain about the retirement age going up ot aircraft being sold, that's just tough titty! Just like when a couple of aircraft join a fleet and a few commands come up; it's just right place, right time stuff. I am always of the opinion that if there is an opportunity available then you need to SERIOUSLY consider it there and then as it may all change tomorrow.....................

The command upgrade is quite a convoluted process but is supported by strong growth.
The system is not fully transparent but any irregularities only make a difference of months rather than many years as before.
Smacks of 'I'm alright jack' from where I am sitting. What happens when the growth stops? Then you have a system which becomes less fair and others will be coming up with the same arguments as you have just put about your previous employer.

I do agree that the recruitment of direct entry captains undermines the whole system as far as promotions are concerned and should have been avoided at all cost..
But airlines aren't going to leave aircraft on the ground because not enough applicants want to fill the left seats on a 'less desirable' type, as happened at my (and Calypso's previous) employer.

You need to be fair in any judgement like this. The company has a business to run and pilot's need to accept this in such situations. Seniority is usually fought for by unions to benefit the greater good of all members. It is not perfect and there will be anomalies along the way, usually the union will only fight a case if it benefits the general membership, like it or not. They have to have a mandate from the members, as without they are toothless.

PP