PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand flown approaches into Major international Airports
Old 26th Jan 2008, 19:56
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
747-200 driver, Cat.II current...
xxx
I engage the "Otto"-pilot after retracting flaps on takeoff and accelerating to climb speed.
xxx
As far as landing, if VMC, I fly Mexican procedures ("Manuel" approach), as I hardly get more than 1, sometimes 2 landings (if lucky) every month... generally from the time we slow down, extend flaps and gear, for approach and landing. The only time I do an autoland, is to check the equipment if so requested by maintenance. At my age, all I can handle is 15 minutes of hand flying per sector...
xxx
For low visibility, I let "Otto" (German procedure) handle the aircraft with 3 autopilots engaged, and click to "Manuel" when I see the approach/runway lights. I am not the type of guy, who pretends to be "the ace of the base", and forced to miss the approach/landing, to make OPEC richer than what they are now, because of my lack of proficiency.
xxx
This reminds me I have to land twice next month, my last landing was nearly 60 days ago.

Happy contrails

I hate spelling mistakes... so excuse me, I did make a correction.

Last edited by BelArgUSA; 26th Jan 2008 at 20:45.