PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DFT and Airport ID
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2008, 17:29
colossus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
norsman7

Unfortunately the 'jobsworths' are doing the bidding of the Aerodrome Manager and apart from DfT regs there at all UK airports local regs apply also. Don't ask me why. It's just the way it is. Until the UK has a standardised security system meaning all security is in the hands of DfT - without local interference - there will always be differences.
I thank you for bringing the thread back to the original issue.

I am part of an airport management team, all be it a very small one. When you have the D of T, the Police and other agencies to deal with, along with the press who think it's a good "story" to sneak on-to the airfield, you start to get a little paranoid in a post 9-11 world.

As a RED go anywhere ID holder, I find it equally frustrating to visit other airfields complete usually with passport, ID and some pre-agreement between the airports managers, but accept in the current climate that's how it is, until everybody in the industry forces the issue with the D of T, nothing is likely to happen.

As for airport security staff, sure some are over zealous, but some are also ex-cops / forces and have a nose for things not being quite right.

I believe the BAA as the biggest issuer of Security passes ought to take the lead - but I think we can all be realistic about the chances of that !

Sadly those actually in positions of power are those least inconvenienced by it - I'd love to be able to refuse entry to a senior official saying that they don't have authorization but somehow think they might just turn the tables on us in regards the inspection audit.