PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in an unusual way... possibly!?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2008, 14:55
MacBoero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL in an unusual way... possibly!?

Hello everyone, I've recently joined PPRuNe as I found myself doing something rather unusual last Christmas.

I'm married to a Brazilian and consequently I spend Christmas occasionally in Brazil. Several friends of my wife are pilots and either participate in running or are members of a Air Club. They kept suggesting that I should give it a go. Anyway last Christmas I did, and enjoyed the first couple hours so much, I ended up spending almost 13 hours flying.

It would silly to make the best of those hours, and so I would like to start by at least getting a PPL. Brazil is a bit unusual from what I can work out in that they are not fully signed up to either JAA or FAA, although it has been suggested that they are close to signing up to the JAA.

They seem happy that I get a UK CAA issued Class II medical, which I have done, phew!

What I would like to work out now, is what to do about ground exams. Should I aim to do them here in the UK?

I also have a set of Air Pilot's Manuals, published by Pooleys, should these be sufficient? Is there any further reading material that people consider a must? And what about example exam papers, are they accessible?

I'm sure I shall be coming here with more questions, but that'll do for now, and thanks in advance for any advice.