PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC rating in theUK?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2008, 21:52
VeriLocation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Common sense please

As a high hours PPL and (h) pilot operating a modern light aircraft for business and pleasure at all times of the year and travelling to and from the UK & Switzerland I have find the whole IMC or not debate rather irksome, and as a long term "observer" rather than contributor to PPrune this particular subject has prompted me to put the old keyboard into action. The way I see it, is that ANY form of training over an above the PPL can only be a good thing. I seem to detect that the IR stakeholders who have invested considerable time and effort in gaining their status seem a little peeved that Joe Public can mix it with them in the clouds rather than applying common sense and equiping normal social pilots with key skills that seems from the stats to prove that we can control an aircraft quite safely in marginal weather which has a nasty habit of producing accidents on non-IMC holders where they inadvertently enter rain/cloud/mist/fog. But more than anything the rating for me gives me a sense that on a regular bi-annual basis I am assessed for my competence not just in instrument flying but also ILS , NDB navigation which is a large part of my weekly flying and this produces one net result - CONFIDENCE. I have seen so many friends / fellow pilots make bad decisions and lose their confidence in marginal weather just when they needed it. It may only be a rating but it allows me personally to keep safe when the conditions change and not panic. I would never chose to fly IMC on a long business related trip but sometimes terrain , weather conditions may not make it a choice but a forced reality and like all good training in any walk of life, it equips you with the ability to cope when it matters. So please EASA get off your high horse and think about raising the bar - not lowering it or at least change the IR into a sensible rating for people like me who will never fly commercially. Anyway I must get back to my IR course, currently having to learn how to use polar jet airways........need I say more.