PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 Total electrical failure?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2008, 05:29
NSEU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe, hopefully the lazy flight attendents (not all) will learn how much they can jeopardise the aircraft and think while they work!
Before we go too far with our pointless mud-slinging match here, I've seen more tea leaves poured down the "lazy" engineers' smoko room sink than I've ever seen on an airplane....

The (previously unaware) FA's are only part of the flooding issue. There are many things which lead to flooding. If my sources are correct, the actual cause of the BKK incident was engineering-related (or more airplane-design-related).
According to my sources, the ribbon heater for the rubber tube connecting the drain plumbing to the drain mast heater had failed. Basically it was icing which caused the problem.
Ribbon heaters are not something that generate warning messages... and I'm not sure how often engineers are required to check these things (if ever).

How drip shields get cracked in the first place is beyond me (unless it's a temperature variation thing). It's not like you can tread on top of the drip shield.. unless you remove the galley and floor panels.

Water in the cart elevator shaft probably originates from the plumbing behind the coffee makers and water boilers in the U/D galley. Sometime the pressure relief valves don't seat properly. Again a design problem (or perhaps wear and tear and lack of insight/resources to fix the problem)

At the moment, I'm attributing the incident to poor design, lack of time, lack of training, greedy management.. and just plain bad luck