PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Major passenger disturbance on UA flight in Rio
Old 25th Jan 2008, 01:59
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United 9805...

I speak and understand Portuguese... as a matter of fact I am in Brasil in vacations at the present time. I showed this to a few Brasilian friends around me to verify my opinion, and I translated the English for them. I am a pilot.
xxx
We looked the tape a few times, I also read the texts in Portuguese which came with the tape on YouTube... It appears that it was entirely taped after the return of the aircraft to RJ. First I heard the clear and polite "SHUT-UP" of a "friendly F/A" from the "friendly skies"... I do believe, that a firm FOR YOUR SAFETY - PLEASE REMAIN IN YOUR SEATS would have been more appropriate. And Portuguese language should equally be used. I heard a Brasilian F/A making a PA... but merely one, although I can see there is what appears a large number of Brasilians aboard.
xxx
A F/A asked early on the tape, for the passenger to stop the taping. The passenger answered "the doors are open, is it...?" - Even though they are on board of a US registry aircraft, operated under FAR 121 - while doors are open, and have "blocked-in" for the arrival, although a precautionary return, the laws of Brasil are then in effect. Try to ask if Brasilian law requires written consent for people to be taped... I doubt it. It is not in Argentina where I live and work. Or do like Aeroflot, and prohibit taking pictures in or from airplanes... and send the FBI, the TSA, the 82nd Airborne and the IRS after these unhappy "terrorists"...
xxx
Apparently, buses came from the terminal to the aircraft, probably stopped on the runway. They deplaned with airstair(s), probably only one was brought to the plane and made a long wait for deplaning. The firefighters seem to be concerned with the RH main gear unit. Nothing about the engine on that side.
xxx
The passenger complains in the terminal on his mobile phone (to UA) about the cancellation the day before ("communications") and the circumstances of "today's flight"... of course, the engine "almost" on fire... which in turn made a frie warning in the toilet. and of course an engine "failure" when the engine power was reduced... Obviously, the passenger is not knowledgeable about airplanes, but yet, he knows that UA is using excuses to fit the circumstances. If the RH engine was shut-down or not, it is not known to the passengers, nor does he realises that the tire(s) failed by a mere blow-up due to overheated tires with the overweight landing brakes effort.
xxx
Certainly, the captain did a good and safe return as warranted, but I am not entirely happy about the attitude of the F/As... As usual, F/As are there to save your a*se, not to kiss it. I do not expect any better treatment from the the friendly skies... however, with my airline, the chief pilot and the chief F/A would give a debriefing (without tea and cookies) about an unsatisfactory attitude with passengers who show various levels of concern to near panick. Realise that the TAM tragedy in GRU a few months ago, is still fresh in the mind of many people in that cabin.
xxx
Keeping them in their seats - YES, yelling SHUT-UP - NO, after a safe landing has been completed, and doors are opened without emergency evacuation. No wonder that UA, does not enjoy the first choice for travel of the people from that country, nor mine. As a captain, I would greet the deplaning passengers at L-1 door, if my duties and time permit, to present the excuses for the airline, and the vocabulary used.
xxx
From a "third world" nation, and with my apologies to the flight deck.

I wish you "happy contrails" -