PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas B744 Total electrical failure?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 21:53
NSEU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have been on this aircraft flying a(sic) 4/5 times this past few weeks after the "Incedent"(sic) and everything is just as normal
No it isn't, just as normal ... You just don't see what is going on behind the scenes. Engineers are now under even more pressure to do their best. Unfortunately, thanks to management's nearsighted policies, you may have noticed that engineers have been a little thin on the ground of late(?). During transits, two or three (non-IFE) engineers can only do so much in the (realistically) 30 minute window of opportunity. Of course, if engineering deems it necessary, they will delay the aircraft to rectify the problem.

apart from noticed(sic) water in the very bottom of the lift shaft dont(sic) know where it came from or that(?) but the guys checked it out with SYD and we continued, but was [a] weird thing to find there
You may not know where it came from, but there will be someone in engineering who does have a very good idea and the associated potential risks. Let's hope you find him/her before management makes him/her redundant

Leaking water, on its own, does not always present a major hazard. 747's have been flying for many decades without something like this happening. Aircraft have a large number of protections. It usually takes a breakdown of many of these protections before it constitutes a major hazard.

and also the door allowed me into the lift shaft witht he lift being at the Upper deck level while i was on the main deck. this is where the water is in the shaft not the bottom of the lift its self(sic).
I'm assuming you are a Flight Attendant rather than a passenger? I wouldn't like to think that a passenger was in the galley area tampering with galley equipment I also assume that you had to manipulate a three part mechanical lock to open the elevator door... Whereupon you would be protected by:

1) two electrical interlocks on the door
2) an electrical interlock in a pressure mat on the floor of the lift well

Basically, there were six airplane devices protecting you from danger... plus your own intuition, telling you not to get into a small elevator designed for carts

anyone noticed this on OJM ? hope it has been fixed now before i fly again
If you are a Flight Attendant, and are aware this particular aircraft has an ongoing problem, please highlight this fact in the Cabin/IFE Log Book. Also highlight the problem you had with the cart elevator door. If you think it important enough, you should ask your CSM to tell the captain to put both of these items in the Technical Logbook. If you are a CSM, then perhaps you should also tell your manager/s about these things.
Note: When making entries in the cabin log book, include as many details as possible. Please use correct spelling and punctuate your sentences so that dumb (sorry, intellectually challenged) engineers understand what you are talking about

Because investigators are now closer to understanding the factors behind the QF incident, they can now start addressing the issues... I only hope, after reading these forum threads, you are contributing to safety by telling your fellow FA's not to pour coffee and tea down the drains.... especially when engineers are walking about under the aircraft... They really don't appreciate hot coffee being sprayed in their eyes from drain masts underneath the aircraft (Engineers may look a little grubby at times, but it's not always their fault). Coffee may not have been an issue in this particular incident, but it certainly doesn't help.

Before you roll your eyes, perhaps you should check that you have your facts straight and are not unnecessarily panicking the general public Also make sure that you, yourself, are not contributing to the problem.

Rgds.
NSEU

Last edited by NSEU; 24th Jan 2008 at 22:16.