PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work experience
Thread: Work experience
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 21:13
mazakari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yer ill defiently be applying for the apprenticeships with the "big boys" in scotchland!! not sure what chance im going to have with no exp. or relevant qualies and being 23 vs. 16 year olds!!
At this moment in time, the right person for the position is far more important than your age. Give them a call. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Full training for your 'A' licence and then if you have proved your worth, on to your 'B' licence and type courses. All this whilst recieving a salary. I have worked with many people who have graduated aviation 'school'. In my opinion, those that have completed an apprenticeship within a large company or have a military training have turned out to be more rounded individuals than the 'school' leavers. This isn't to say the 'school' leaver doesn't turn out to be a good engineer, but they seem to take longer to climb to a level where their licence is of any worth (unless the company is just looking for a signature rather than quality of work - something that (I hope) the larger companies understand now).

" As a mechanical engineer, it's no good being able to work out the volume of a jar if you can't get the lid off !! "

maz