PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS Q400 gear collaps CPH 27/10
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 16:19
Miraculix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It dos'nt specify if the o-ring in the "crashlander" is in the tally.

My own translation, please don't smack me for faults...

SAS flew dangerous planes for years

27 aircraft had dangerous, but hidden designflaws.

First SAS found corrosion in 25 out of 27 Dash8 aircraft. Now a new inspection shows, that something was wrong with a filter in the landinggear. Writes danish newspaper Politikken.

SAS has for years been flying around with 27 Dash8 aircraft, that had serious, but hidden designflaws. After two emergency landings in september last year it was revealed, that 25 out of 27 aircraft had corrosion in the landinggear.

Now a new inspection from SAS reveales, that also the hydraulic system in the landinggear on most planes was flawed. So far 18 of the 27 aircraft has been inspected and 16 of these has had either defect or totally missing filters.

I a minimum of two cases an o-ring was in the hydraulic system. SAS had no chance of finding the corrosion or the flawed filters. The corrosion was in a piston, that should only be inspected after about 10 years use - SAS recieved their aircraft in 2000.

The European agency, EASA, that type approves the aircraft flying in Europe, was on january 10 this year notified by mail with documentation that, SAS had found defect filters en almost all inspected aircraft.

The notification came from Statens luftfartsvæsen (SLV) (the Danish CAA), that at the moment is in charge of the three scandinavian countries overseeing SAS.

SLV had, before SAS found the many falts, assesed, that there was a designflaw.

Allready then EASA said after a meeting with among others the Dash8 constructor, Canadian Bombardier, that the crash on 27 october i Copenhagen Kastrup was a unique fault and therefore was of no importance to other Dash8's.

Now in almost all inspected SAS aircraft defect filters has been found. But EASA is not changing their view. Allready on january 11, the day after the mail from SLV, the technical director of EASA answered in a mail, that:"the found faults will only be critical in a combination with maintanance faults".

EASA still decline, that its a designflaw, but at the same time adds:"Bombardier is designing a new filter".

SLV is standing fast on its view that its a designflaw.

"the scandinavian CAA's are not on par with the view of EASA" says Per Veingberg, technical director of SLV to Politikken. He says the crash on 27 october, was caused by the defect filter, that was flawed in design. SAS does not want to comment the new inspection and it was not possible to get in contact with Bombadier.

Last edited by Miraculix; 24th Jan 2008 at 17:07. Reason: SPELLING!!!