PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Work experience
Thread: Work experience
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 11:28
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can this thread be swapped to engineers section?

Well, I'll surely fly on PPL level. Don't know about obstacle for commercial medical. At least not FAA or UK CAA eyesight issue. Could theoretically be.

I'm just starting. With only fraction of total funding required.
Yeah, I'm 25. Maybe around my 30th birthday, I'd get first proper commercial job. If all goes 'smoothly'. How's that for a wait and already spending all my savings from past 4 years?
How about that for getting first job? Half my life gone already.
Well, as an engineer, it's not so much about company's view at your age rather than your plans and goals to have a career by certain age, I presume.

You're 23 and panicking? What were you doing until now?
If I grew up in the UK or US and were able to save up money from younger age and get loans or remortgage house or whatever, I won't start with aviation career plans at 24. Not because it wasn't in my blood, it wasn't realistic before. Now it is, but with such sacrifices it's depressing.

Are you really sure you're outside the limits for eyesight for PPL flying as well?
IF you're just outside limits, I've read about people doing flying in the US and when they're ATPL, they will go straight to 'medical renewal' limits instead of initial limits, which are touch stricter.
Well, it's very tight this way, but there were posts on pprune about this.
Though it's for someone with lots of dosh to jump through such hoops.

http://careers.whl.co.uk/training.htm
shows three different ab initio apprenticeships.
Dunno why you thought/knew about transmissions only. Frankly, I read it two weeks ago and didn't remember that one (of 3) that's specifically for transmissions.

Alas, if you have 'heli production' programme on EH101 and Lynx where you're supposed to be in dif depts, then what's problem with that one?
After all, it's with big company, in the field, experience.
They wouldn't do this if they don't want to nurture youngsters to stay with company, would they?

Did the guys (whoever) at AW or another co tell you about this one?
Yes, since they'd pick guys at square 1, they naturally want a person to have BTEC eng cert to start with. No bias in that. Or do you want to stick finger somewher you shouldn't and get fried - literally? It's not good example, but..

'NVQ not worth paper', OK. They might have some parts (pt NVQ) of it not everyone fancies, but how could apprenticeship with major UK/EU company be pointing in wrong direction? You can always do the part 66 theory by distance study. That's how some folks do it when in employment already.

DID YOU HAVE A LOOK AT THE LINK ABOVE BEFORE?
I didn't talk to 'guys in the field', but if I could not make it as commercial pilot and couldn't find any small company that would take me up, I'd sign up before the deadline.

I don't know if you researched the FW turbine mechanic courses. If the heli eng 'market' is so small and lots of basic turbine maintenance stuff is the same, one just has to go with the flow in education. Unless scoring apprenticeship with heli eng company.

Yes, starting from zero IS easier in the US. Their A&P courses can be split into their parts, airframe and powerplant. One year for each. Downside of US mechanics is that is much lower pay. More companies, more variety, more servicing. Still not convenient without passport and extra dosh.

Did you have a look at UK ATPL theory? Lots of stuff rotary minded/oriented pilots have to do that's about airliners. Much more wasted time cramming the stuff. And they still have to do it until there's something better.