PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAS Q400 gear collaps CPH 27/10
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 10:13
talent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"...have been checked. In 16 of them the before mentioned Hydraulic filter was either defect or missing and in 2 cases an O ring was found in the hydraulic fluid."

Miraculix,
Many thanks for that post. I'm assuming that the above is a summary of the newspaper article in the link? (Oh if only I hadn't skipped Danish classes in school). Sounds very embarrassing.

When you say two o-ring particles - I wonder does that mean two in addition to the crash-landed plane, or does that figure include the crash-lander?

A missing filter is rather a poor show but, from my limited knowledge of hydraulics, many systems can tolerate quite a considerable amount of sludge and, to a limited degree, could tolerate a missing filter (providing there are no large bodies like o-ring particles). A defective or completely blocked filter is another matter and, unless there is some sort of fail-safe or emergency bypass, or a complete alternative B system, could result in no pressure getting through to an effective component.

Wonder where the additional 0-ring particles were found? In the actuator where they possibly originated, in a filter, or swishing around in the general body of fluid?

Where the air is rarified, we'll just glide, starry-eyed ...