PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth out of control...
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2008, 01:36
westausatc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mono,

I am but a humble enroute controller (West Radar - 133.9 and soon 125.2/118.2 are my frequencies) so I have no idea about taxi delays. I agree that it is shambolic to have people get a taxi slot along with 13 others (as others have suggested happens). However, I am not blaming the tower guys for this - it is, undoubtedly like much else in AsA, the system that is probably at fault. It could be something as simple as not having enough personnel in the cabin to run this properly but management has decided to make it look like they care so they forced this on the tower crew. Like I said, not sure, but I am sure of one thing - the tower guys are doing the absolute best they can within the constraints of the system running them.

On the holding outside of the NOTAMed hours - I agree with what you say. That is why I have think having a long period of 10 mins holding NOTAMed (say 0900 PH time to 2100 PH time) so people are not caught out is the way to go. Augment this with 20-25 minutes holding NOTAMed in the peak inbound times and it will cover just about everyone for just about everything. At the same time, I know that in carrying more fuel, more fuel will be burnt for the exact same route, level, etc., which is why I think 10 minutes generally is enough.

In terms of raising complaints about the service - I fully agree with the pirate - there is no point saying anything on the frequency. The controller will just finish the transmission thinking 'w#$ker' and it will go no further. Ring up the tower and ask for the ALM - they are our new managers who will have a better idea of what happened. Still no joy, call AsA and ask to speak to the General Manager - ATC. Might get blocked by the secretary but explain the purpose of your call and if enough people do it, it will get noticed. Call the CASA field office in PH, call ATSB, call anyone else you can think of - the more who know of the problem, the more likely it will get resolved.