PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth out of control...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2008, 22:40
David Eyre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This might be drifting a bit off-topic, but anyway....

Part of the reason (in my opinion) why they won't get many applicants for ATC roles is this little requirement:

"It will be an express condition of the offer of training and employment that trainees agree to serve at any location in Australia at which Airservices Australia has an ATC presence."

I was very interested in ATC roles, but this requirement put me off. There's all the hassle associated with relocating, finding a house (IF they are available and IF you can afford it), moving house, disrupting the kids schooling, starting from scratch with new friends, being away from extended family, etc. It may not affect single people, but it can be very offputting for people with families.

I have no desire whatsoever to leave Perth. I have young kids, all my family and friends are here, and I like living here.

If they didn't have this as a condition of employment, I would definitely be interested.

Maybe Airservices Australia needs to get with the times and be more flexible about this. With the current skills shortages across many industries, most companies have changed their job requirements to attract workers.

Look at how the mining industry has almost completely switch over to FIFO (Fly In Fly Out). They realised that workers want stability for their families and like living in the city, rather than forcing people to relocate.

Regards,
David