PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low-timers in bizjet jobs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 21:17
LCDRP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent 4 years flying for a company that hired low time F/O's. The only reason they did that was to save money. Terrible pay, no time off and a training contract that would break the back of anyone that tried to leave before 12 months.

The only reason a company would hire a low time pilot is $$$$. They are looking for someone to occupy the right seat and that is about it. Anybody who has flown left seat for a part 61 SIC (Jet) check, knows what I am talking about. We used to call it single pilot ops flying with a low time SIC. Seeing the wide eyes and pale complexion of that first takeoff in a jet says it all for the low time SIC. These guy's took 10-20 hours just to catch up with the speed and figure out what ATC was saying.

I can't talk to anywhere but the US, but I recommend instructing to 600hrs, then fly freight till you get the ATP. At that point you are al least eligible for a type, and have built up a good solid base to move to a jet. The only people I have seen with 400hrs in a 604 were relatives of company owners, or the owners themselves.

There a lot of jobs available in the US right now for the low time pilot. About the best I have seen since the late 90's. Getting on at the regionals is the easiest I have ever seen with times so low, I wonder how they get insurance. If you want a job on a corporate jet, you will get it. Just take your time, don't get disappointed, and keep plugging away.

One note of warning however, don't jump from job to job every time the grass looks greener. Employers look closely at your employment history and like to see that you are stable, and not prone to jump.