PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The End Of Single Crew Commercial Flights ?
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 09:43
G-AWZK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting that VLJ's have had a mention. By coincidence I was having a conversation with a friend at EASA about this very subject and crewing requirements.

JAR-OPS 1 requires all commercial air transport operations in turbo-jet aeroplanes at night or under instrument flight rules (IFR) to have two pilots. As VLJs will be certificated as single pilot aeroplanes we can expect the manufacturers to have this requirement amended; it is felt that a very strong safety case, would have to be made before there are any changes in this requirement. Corporate operators may well dictate that all flights carrying company passengers must be crewed by two type rated pilots.

Then we have the insurance companies that will only insure turbo-jet aeroplanes when flown with two rated pilots there are a few companies that will accept single pilot operations but with a much higher premium. This will likely be the incentive to always fly with two type rated pilots. The point being that when flying VLJs with two pilots, both must be type rated. Taking an inexperienced pilot as a second pilot to meet any regulatory requirements would only increase the workload of the captain as he would have monitor all actions by the second pilot as well as dealing with his own duties. It makes sense then that where two pilot operations are required both pilots must be type rated.

Going back to piston ops, the same conversation leads me to believe that EASA are looking at the issues raised by the CAA following the Loganair accident, and have extended discussions beyond ambulance flights. It is not unusual for JAA/EASA regulations to come up with solutions that are akin to sledgehammers to crack nuts. My understanding is that in one meeting the discussions considered the suggestion that all commercial transport ops should use only turbine aircraft, the belief being that it would have a minimal impact on commercial operations...