PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discretion or routine extension to FTL's??
Old 3rd Sep 2001, 20:21
sky9

Keeping Danny in Sandwiches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hugmonster
If it is not reasonably possible for the flight to be flown within the rostered period and a reasonable period exceeds the maximum the schedule is illegal and does not comply with 371 (section 2.2 "Planned schedules must allow for the flight to be completed within the flying duty period"). In that case you should draw the attention of your Union CC to the schedule and also the CAA; either through Chirp or directly. You should also decline to do the flight, but get your facts right first.

Doctor Crucs
The planning of the flight is when the schedule and roster are written . What happens on the day is not planning unless a roster is changed or someone is called out from standby. See CAP371 section 18.2 "In a flying Duty Period involving 2 or more sectors up to a maximum of 2 hrs discretion may be exercised prior to the first and subsequent sectors".

However assume that you are on a night PMI departing after 2200Z. If crewing want you to change and do a night TFS which is outside the maximum duty period allowed, you cannot dispatch to TFS using discretion as Crewing are PLANNING your roster for the flight.

Hogwash.
I don’t know what scheduling rules you are working to as I don’t know the joke about Fantasy Island. One of the problems with a world wide bulletin board is that rules are different in different parts of the world.
Your comments about the use of discretion being that of the commanders I agree with exactly.
It is my view that a Management Pilot that had "Tea and Bickies" with a pilot would find himself in a very hot seat with the CAA. As I said before; if your called in, take a recorder with you - it’s up to you whether you tell him that you have one.

Whatever you do however do it properly; tell crewing that you cannot operate the flight because you are likely to be fatigued if they argue with them send them a fax or email asking them if they wish you to fly while fatigued. I doubt if they will pursue the point.

In the UK discretion is filed in the company records up to 2 hours (and are available to the CAA) and directly with the CAA if in excess up to the 3 hr max..