PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The R22 corner: Owning, flying & training questions
Old 21st Jan 2008, 15:34
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MartinCH, Autos must be learnt so you can perform them flawlessly and without having to think, it is a part of Heli flying that YOU MUST become able to perform this action without a second thought, especially in the Robinson Family you have very few seconds to get into this config after all goes quiet, most definate this would be your life saver ( done properly)
If possible fly a H300c -older technology but Much more forgiving.
Ive flown lots of hours in both.
If either of my children came to me and asked which one to learn in I would not want to see them in an R22!!
That's exactly what 'says it all' I have in mind.

I'm not saying I won't have to practise autos in R22. I'm going to sooner or later. It's just that I'd rather do them in S300. Though I understand that due to dif aircraft behaviour I'll have to be 'proficient' in doing R22 autos too.
If I eventually make it to 200-250 TT and FI/CFI papers and a job, I'm likely to teach others to do autos in R22. Be it in the US or UK.

Just that from accident spot I can see that autos training can cause accident itself. Funny (if no injuries) irony is therefore when practising accident prevention /safety procedures for possible future emergency/ and causing real accident. Whether just whacking it bit hard to the ground or having one skid too high due to assymetrical lift or terrain and 'losing' blades when keeling to one side.