PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2008, 09:44
transwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet2

LS have been a very good addition to NCL, not only providing routes previously unserved, but adding extra frequency to existing ones and giving NE travellers a choice. A big bonus is that they have provided a fair few aviation related jobs at NCL, jobs which are in strong demand and which they rarely become available! I have to agree in some parts with previous postings though. If the loads on the LGW route are not that good, then it is possible that LS will terminate the route. Lets remember that when BA used to operate it using 737 aircraft, the flights were busy but only due to the perks of a BA service (i.e the opportunity to connect to long and short haul services ex LGW and some business travellers using it as an alternative to LHR whilst retaining their BA 'points'). The majority of pax were connecting onwards, not to mention the number of BA/VS staff who utilised the route. I do think that LGW is a predominantly leisure route which is possible quite hard to make a profit on using a 737 sized aircraft, maybe smaller would be more beneficial?

Exisiting routes from NCL by LS seem to be doing ok. ORK, MJV, TFS, AGP, PMI and LGW will remain for the summer, with MAH and PSA returning. Only time will tell if competition on PMI, AGP and MJV will affect LS. There are, IMHO a number of untapped routes which LS could serve, maybe they're constantly monitoring demand? Lets not forget that LS are actually operating 1 charter service this year, maybe its the start of many - branching out to other markets?

What happened to VLC and LEI, were the loads on these routes poor so service was not re-started? Why not carry on LPA and ACE for the summer?

I do however have reservations over LS operating across the pond - all the reasons which, I think have been discussed on here before.

Onur Air

Turkey obviously seems to be a very popular destination from NCL this year, with record numbers of flights to DLM, BJV, AYT and ADB. OHY alone have 10 weekly flights using 321, M88 and A300 aircraft, whilst we have an extra 2 FHY departures, along with 2 TOM and 5 TCX.