PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Truth with Ryanair and SSTRs
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2008, 20:05
Orvil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhodes,
You've done it again!
I'm not xenophobic but was stating how messed up the Oz Pilot market is because of tarts flying for practically nothing. Your basis of argument is that the "newbie" would be better off paying RYR etc and getting 500 hours.

Guess what ? What if the recession is long standing and he/she doesn't get 500 hours before being let go. I believe the contract has no obligations apart from that brookfield will pay you "schedule" flight time per hour. No basic not even the actual hours of work. You couldn't make it up if you tried.

So from your argument its better to blow £30,000 and have a contract with brookfield that pay you per hour of flight. So if the **** its the fan, your on your own - financially.

You've been lucky, right place right time. My argument was that it's probably not the best time to go the RYR route. If RYR are so confident that their business model is recession proof why don't they employ Pilots directly? Reason because they know whats round the corner. The employ (contract?) economists to predict this stuff. hence, Brookfield or nothing.

I also don't think "£30,000" is playing the game. As you put it. If you think £30000 is a small amount of money you must come from a very previleged back ground. Good for you.

Like I said in my reply, It's what I would do with £30,000. I wasn't pontificating (you should do this etc), it's what I would do with £30000 in this climate.

Your also presuming that the Captainyonder isn't employed at the moment. Like I said "if you can afford the mortgage" in my original reply. You and I know nothing of this mans/womens background. Hence, (again) that why I said "I would " because I'm taking into account my own background.

If I was going to do a SSTR at the moment I'd do the ATR42/72 through blueskyaviation. Lots of promise, 98% employment and every country in the world is having them India, China, Africa etc pretty recession proof. If your prepared to relocate (just like RYR !). This is the best part, its only £16000!
So our newbie would have change too!

like I keep saying .... It's upto you, not me or anybody else, it's your money not mine. Being a Pilot is about making decisions and its CaptainYonders nobody elses.

Cheerio
I'm bored now,
Orvil