PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Truth with Ryanair and SSTRs
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2008, 10:42
Orvil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
Wow! I'm always constantly surprised by how many Pilots and Potential Pilots can't read a basic sentence.
Did I write anywhere that you can purchase a flat for £30000 ? No I didn't. Lets read that sentence again for those who are behind the curve.

"If I was you I'd put the money down on a nice 2 bedroom flat, preferably near a Uni town or FTO and rent the spare room out."

I think the key part of the sentence is this, "I'd put money down ". This I would presume meant as in DEPOSIT not full capital outlay.
Its a good investment time if you have the deposit and can afford the mortgage. Hence, "as long as you can pay the mortgage. You'd get a bargain at the moment with prices droping 10 to 17% ".
If you don't agree thats upto you but most of the property press state that if you can get the deposit together and can afford a mortagege it a great time to buy. If your in for the longterm you will not loose out, Property always goes up in the longterm. If your looking for a short-term investment yes it would be pretty stupid.

Also to start a thread with "Christ" is somewhat aggresive and blasphemous. Then to belittle my opinion is somewhat "modern A-level" standard level of argument. The basis of my argument is that being employed by an airline is somewhat safer than being a contractor. You have legal rights. As a Ryanair/Brookfield contractor you have none. Nothing.

Yes, I understand that its better to do something than nothing but at what cost? CaptainYonder was asking about Ryanair and GECAT thats what I gave my opinion on. Did I state anywhere that he should give up his training? No I didn't.
I also think Ryanair should be the last port of call at the moment, if you can get into GECAT etc you'd be better off at the moment. Now if Ryanair decide that they want to employ people properly. That is a completely different situation. You will be employed and therefore have rights!
To bring in Virgin and SAS as evidence is afine example of how legal rights work, I believe they where offered redundancy and given help finding jobs. I don't think Ryanair would do the same ? Why would they ? They have no legal obligation to assist financial or otherwise plus they have no Union recognition and therefore nobody to negotiate for you.

Somebody also stated that Ryanair will be ok as their fares are so cheap it won't affect them. I differ on that one. Yes, lots of flights are very cheap but thats at the moment. What about rising costs? Fuel, handling, etc? Also where do people go when they get to there destination ? Hotels. Do they eat? Restaurants , Travel insurance, the list of other costs goes on. Remember this is an airline that charges for suitcases and most destination are actually nowhere near the destination! Hence, every year RY get fined by the advertising watch dog for misleading customers.

At the end of the day CaptainYonder asked for advice and opinion. I gave it, in the first person as "If I was you" as in "me". Did I write "you should do this" . No I didn't. I wrote about what "I" would do with £30,000.

Educationally speaking this site is so depressing, the level of basic understanding of written communication is dreadful. How did you lot pass any of your exams?
Bring back proper "o" levels and closed book exams.

Sorry, just a little extra. Rhodes, your from Australia? Do you live in the UK? Well, if your in the UK I think your opinion is somewhat hypocritical. Why aren't you flying in OZ? Don't tell me the T&C's are crap, no jobs etc.. So I tell you what, come over to the UK and ruin our T&C's that Unions and decent management have worked hard for. Everytime someone takes a job with lower T&C's (as in Ryanair/brookfield) it lowers the whole industry eg. Look at OZ. Theres a Pilot shortage now, because ? Because theirs no financial point in doing the job !
Don't tell me that its not just about money. Yes it is! I was an accountant and when I was doing my training I was told by the senior partner this great quote "At the end of the day nobody gives a **** what you do. It's all about what house you live in and what car you drive! "
So when you next visit your Bank and need to borrow some money tell them your a Pilot, I'm sure the Bank Manager will fall over, bring out the silver and offer you tea. Yeah, right. More likely show you the door.
I've also noticed that many of the contributors ages are 20 to 25. So do you remember a recession? Have you any idea what it's like? I graduated at the last recession (great timing I know) and do you know what most people do? They don't spend because they don't have any money. What they do have goes into their houses. Not on flying to Europe or holidays. Thats a fact.

Goodluck and bestwishes.
Orvil

Last edited by Orvil; 20th Jan 2008 at 11:12.