PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2008, 00:42
Wornout Rubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Crossfeeding topic (Please delete if unsuitable)

Various theories abound, and hopefully soon the AAIB will give us the answers, and the speculation will end.

It may have been caused by a whole spectrum of malfunctions.

One thing for sure is that this particular incident was very unusual.

The crew did as well as they could given the bare seconds they had to cope with a highly unusual event.

Although not stating a possible reason for the incident (and hopefully this post will not be seen as imaginative speculation, but leaning more towards disccusion), the topic of fuel crossfeeding on the approach is an interesting one.

The Boeing 777 FCOM (12.20.3) states that "Fuel balancing may be done in any phase of flight".

I do not know if this applies to other Boeing types or indeed Airbus aeroplanes. But I am sure you gurus out there can comment.

Now, if fuel sometimes does get contaminated (with water or detergents etc.), then would it not be prudent NOT to fuel balance close to the ground (approach, landing or go around). Obviously, configuring both engines to one fuel tank exposes one to additional, perhaps unnecessary risks.

Do UK Airlines have a policy on fuel crossfeeding close to the ground?

As, I said earlier, this post in no way implies that this particular 777 was crossfeeding, it is merely to raise the topic, which MAY have some relevance.

(Please feel free to delete the post, if it does to meet the required standard).