PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2008, 21:49
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add 'fuel to the fire' with an out of context quote: (taken from a discussion about the 777's landing speeds and liaising with ATC)

As a 777-200 operator I can't see why the 300 would be better served by 170 kts to 4d - isn't the landing flap limit speed still 170 kts like previous variants - in which case isn't it a problem to slow down inside 4 miles?

As for the 200, Just to let you know that 170 to 4dme would be quite a problem for some of us who are required to have landing flap set by 900ft or the SESMA goes off = because the speed bleeds off sooooooo slowly from 160/170 (the '200 30 flap limit speed) to the final approach speed (about 135) , and this means that we end up being below 1000RA with the landing flap still running out and the power off - not good...office job <G>.

(between u, me and the gatepost we already have to cheat a little - depending on hwc we normally start the reduction to final at 5 miles - and it will take some 15 seconds before anything significant happens on the speed (= about a mile) so you wouldn't even notice it on the radar - I hope!)

Maybe approach power wasn't set? Maybe they had been kept fast and consequently the throttles did get stuck at a much lower setting than they otherwise would have been?