PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL (M) to NPPL (SEP) - In What & Where?
Old 19th Jan 2008, 21:46
BEagle

Received 282 Likes on 114 Posts
That reference states:

For holders of licences issued by an ICAO Contracting State claiming credit towards the issue of a NPPL, the NST may be waived if the holder has flown a total of 100 hours as pilot of aeroplanes and also flown a minimum of 5 hours PIC cross-country flight time in UK airspace in the 12 months prior to the date of licence application. Certified log book evidence required.

This is, as I wrote earlier, for holders of an licences issued by an ICAO contracting state towards the issue of a NPPL. I happen to know this for a fact, since I secured this easement from the CAA in the first place AND I write the NPPL/XC/REV documents. It does NOT refer to the licence allowances applicable to existing NPPL (Microlight) holders adding SSEA Class Ratings to their licences, the requirements for which are listed in http://www.nppl.uk.com/documents/NPPLXCREV066_001.pdf

NPPL(Microlight) or UK PPL (Microlight) to NPPL (SEP)

The holder of a NPPL (Microlight) or UK PPL (M) licence without restrictions who wishes to obtain a NPPL (SEP) shall:

a. Produce the NPPL (Microlight) or UK PPL (M);

b. Produce logbook evidence of currency on Microlight aircraft;

c. Carry out such flying training in a single-engine piston aeroplane as is judged necessary by the SEP FI or CRI(SPA) giving the training to achieve the required standard to take the NPPL (SEP) NST and GST.

This training must include:

(1) Not less than 1 hour of dual instrument appreciation;

(2) 2 hours stall awareness/spin avoidance training;

(3) Differences training for Microlight pilots whose Microlight flying has been solely on flexwing machines;

(4) Not less than the 32 hours required minimum total flight time for the NPPL (SEP), which may be a combination of both Microlight and SEP flying.

d. Pass the JAR-FCL PPL (A) theoretical examination in Aircraft (General) and Principles of Flight;

e. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical certificate;

f. Pass the NPPL (SEP) NST and GST.

For the holder of a PPL (M) with operating restrictions, the requirements shall further include:

g. The whole of the navigation training required for the NPPL (SEP);

h. The completion of a minimum of 10 hours total solo flying which may be a combination of Microlight and SEP flying.

If you do not have another valid ICAO licence, as a NPPL (Microlight) holder you must pass a NST before you can be issued with a SSEA Class Rating.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will ensure that NPLG are re-briefed accordingly.