PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2008, 18:36
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the speculation. Really it is just a competition to try and second guess the investigation. I suspect there is a very simple explanation, which may have far reaching implications; we will know soon enough, of that I am sure.
Implications, massive, I think so too..
Quite staggered that final landing configuration is so late these days
For the crew to agree to a PR media 'event' so soon after, I imagine they are confident their procedures were 100% correct, and have no idea either.

The points about RESA would also 'upset' a rather large residents opinion group about airports and extensions to their runway systems... with the enormous length of modern runways (with bigfan engines, reverese, staggering braking capability c.f. 60's/70's airliners + spoliers high=drag devices), why aren't the approaches targeted a long way up the runway, or are they?

Local weather info... I can supply that, for the Home Counties. At 2pm precisely we expeienced an 'extreme event' squall 20 miles due North line of flight from Heathrow... so not too impressed that 'weather', and specifically windshear, albeit maybe just a component factor, being dismissed or downgraded so readily...

Great landing, same as any 'seat of the pants' flyer would have done, nose down to somewhere better than Vmin (Vmd ideally) aiming at the boundary and flare heavily in ground effect (about 100ft in this case), birds do it by nature, hang-glider pilots do it by nature, needs teaching more in early days flying school, but FO Coward got it spot on!