PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2008, 10:06
jet999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B777 Lhr

Well what a lot has been said. True the APU may have attempted to start as both transfer busses became unpowered during the ground run. LHR regularly requires 160 to 4 nm. When flap 30 bites, engines will auto spool up to maintain speed. However the 20 knot difference on a light -200 means that there will be some time before engines are commanded back from towards idle. 777 autothottle is somewhat slower to respond than the 747-400. BA require stabilised approach from 1000ft AAL, but this is not always possible with 160kts to 4nm unless you anticipate the 4nm point. If you decelrate at 4nm, then you won't be stable at 1000 feet. Just perhaps the stabilisation was later...it may have saved the day.

Quite how BA persuaded the pilots to be paraded on TV is beyond me, I would never do this. You can be sure they are certain there is no pilot error if they do this. A very good job done by all faced with this nightmare.

I too have some deep concerns of how an apparant double power down short finals ahs not grabbed more airlines deep attention. There have been a few reported cases of relay/ electronic control panels overheating in the last 5 months, all on the ground.
Looking forward to final report. Meantime well done chaps, and don't talk to the press remember the rules....
Rule 1 Never talk to the press- it NEVER works in your favour.
Rule 2 If tempted to talk to the press, see rule 1.