PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2008, 04:40
uniuniunium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been much discussion of the T7's APU and RAT and their respective abilities to provide power during a dual engine failure, but no one has brought up the ability of the two windmilling engines to provide limited power/hydraulics. I really have no sense of how effective the Trents might be in this situation (airspeed and given spooldown time, assuming a flameout), but my remembrance is that the donks on a 74' can provide sufficient power to operate the aircraft while windmilling in a four-out situation. It seems unlikely based on the initial reports that the APU could've autostarted fast enough to be useful, and the same seems true for the RAT (might've deployed but unlikely to have had time to spool up). Would the windmilling engines be effective in powering the essential systems for the 30 seconds or so between the loss of power and impact with the ground? I'm thinking this might also explain the pax reports of flickering lights, e.g. load shedding occurred as the engines were unable to sustain full bus load.