PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2008, 00:39
bnt

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by r011ingthunder
First time poster, followed link from Wikipedia.
OK, I have nothing to offer to this already "hot" debate, but I do have one or two things to ask:
(snip)
1) This specific forum is called "Rumours & News", too. There are other forums that are airline-specific, including some locked to staff only.
If you compare a pilot to a surgeon, there are certain similarities: they both perform a very technical task, sometimes over long hours, and if they cock it up, people die. I wonder if surgeons go on medical forums, and moan at GPs or patients for discussing medical procedures? "You're not a cardiac surgeon, so stop speculating about failed pacemakers!"

2) Self-Loading Freight. The implication is that airline passengers are dead weight, and should not be seen or heard from. As an insult, it's not working, so you'll see it used by passengers in a way Alanis Morissette would appreciate.

3) I thought two had mentioned it? My SLF opinion is on that is somewhere between a) probably not, it would surely have been noticed, or b) could have had an effect on other components, but premature to speculate e.g. a lot of talk in this thread about possible FADEC problems, but it's not been reported that there were any such problems, so it's pointless to worry about an indirect cause like lightning at this early stage in investigation.

4) Deities have sod-all to do with it: thank the pilots, and Boeing engineers.