PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2008, 22:13
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JS777
1.B777 is a fly by wire aircraft..it is not as simple as a wire to an engine..please
SYS involved include AIMS CMCS Arinc 629 OPAS FADEC

Throttle inputs go to an AIMS(Airplane Info Mngmnt Sys..and vice versa
Engine is managed by a dual channel FADEC system. The EEC is part of this system(the heart).
Thanks for that...

The "Safety Case" for any 2 (or more) engine aircraft is that it can afford a single engine failure for any of many causes. On takeoff, approach, cruise or whatever...

Your post implies, but I am sure is a "simplistic" view, that 1 system (AIMS) could, at a single "point", cause both engines to fail - despite 2 independant Thrust Levers (Throttles!). This would seem to me the "Safety Case" principle is in doubt

I fly what is known as the ultimate electric jet - A320 types... But, AFAIK, we do not have the equivalent of the AIMS, and that the 2 TLs essentially go to the 2 engines separately (I am sure, as with most things Airbus, I do not understand it completely!) i.e. to get a double engine failure, we require a double fault somewhere, which in probability terms is unlikely...

Any light you can shed on this aspect i.e. a single system (AIMS?) as a single "point" through which 2 x TL and ATHR control the gines would, errr, be "enlightening"