PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2008, 21:50
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot imagine another profession/industry where such uninformed nonsense is pedaled in public.
ANY industry in the public eye is subjected to amateur opinions. laws are passed and government decisions made on how the "man in the street" thinks about a topic, not the "experts". Ask any genetics researcher in the USA. Or any nuclear power engineer, ANYWHERE. or any doctor. Or policeman. Or soldier. need I continue?
As a rough estimate, more than 50% of respondents who look like professionals' and quote facts, are so inept and wide of the mark, that they show their professional and industry in a very poor light. This can do nothing more than give the press on this forum the impression that there sporadic and patchy training and no SOP's.
I doubt anyone is deducing anything about airline SOPs from an anonymous online bulletin board. But if they were, the absence of that board wouldn't make them any more enlightened. They'd just ask someone down the pub for their opinion instead.

I really don't know why people get so torqued up; the title says "Rumour Network" not "Professional Pilots Accident Investigation Board". Especially at such an early stage one expects rumours and confusion. And even if much of what is suggested is wrong in a given case, it may no be wrong in terms of a topic to think of. For example, fuel starvation may have nothing to do with this accident - but how many people thought a little bit more about their fuel load today, I wonder ....