PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA B777 Incident @ Heathrow (merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2008, 10:40
Permafrost_ATPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anybody has accident investigation experience, please take a look at the pics in the earlier post ()

Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there, but... It looks like the blades of the first fan on the number 1 engine are all missing their tips. That's not the case on the number 2. Now, the cowling on number 1 seems to have suffered more damage that the cowling on number 2 (hard to say with the mud). So number 2 could have been spinning but the blades suffered no damage due to intact (ish) cowling. But could someone with adequate knowledge tell me whether the blade damage on number 1 could have occured with just a windmilling fan or would you expect some level of thrust to be present? If you have an opinion, please state your background so we have some idea about the depth of your knowledge.

On a side note, can you confirm that the RAT on the 777 would only deploy for double engine failure (as opposed to single)? The answer is probably in a previous post but with all the "server is too busy" hits, I don't have the patience to look

Cheers

P