PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YMMB
Thread: YMMB
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2008, 21:08
Blue Sky Baron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early Tyabb days

BULLDOG 248

If my faded memory remembers correctly I don't believe PAS was ever involved at Tyabb.

In the very early days, the 60's, even before my time there, there were 3 operators, Bill Vowell, Doug Thompson (prior to the Peninsula Aero Club) and Jack Ellis. The first two operators did not work well together with the third and following alleged threats, shots fired and an issue involving snakes Mr Ellis was asked to leave, he subsequently started ops at Moorooduc.

After the formation of PAC there was some form of arrangement with Schutt Aviation for some time. Arthur Schutt was made Patron of the club from those very early days and from memory remains on the Clubs honour board.

Bill Suhr also held a position or two on the PAC Committee, but I don't think he operated PAS from Tyabb.

I can't be absolutely sure of that at this time but will contact a friend who pre-dates my time at Tyabb (1973) and seek his recollections.
Just called him and his memory is as clouded as mine, sorry.

I've got the history of Tyabb somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
It's called "Turbulence over Tyabb" and was written by Doug Thompson with assistance from a few club members, myself included. A fine read.

BSB