PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indian govt moves to protect Indian student pilots
Old 16th Jan 2008, 20:19
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all:
This is my first time posting here. I monitor this forum very closely as I am of Indian origin and have lots of friends in the airlines in India.I really don't have a dog in this fight but I would like to add a little historical prespective. Some of you "older" young pilots in India might remember this.
Back in the 70's when Mrs. Gandhi was PM, there was an association created under the auspices of her younger son ,Sanjay ,who was an avid GA pilot and, later, lost his life in a crash. The association was created to protect the interests of the thousands of unemployed pilots who had trained in the civilian environment. They felt (rightly so) that the system was unfair to them .The only two airlines(AI and IA back then) would readily hire an ex airforce guy but not give the civilians much consideration. In the associtaion's opinion, guys(ex. IAF) who had trained for free , served a twenty year period and acquired a pension,took only the regs. exam and then, walked into a job with the big two,whereas they, who had spent a ton of money(unbelievably, about Rs 40,000/- then for a CPL) were ignored unless they had influence.Ahh!! Influence!The bane of the East!!
Long story short, Mrs. G levelled the playing field and all ex serviceman had to take all the tests just like other "normal" pilots,take the flying tests and join the line. Did not change anything but certainly made it tougher for the ex. mil. guys to compete.Who won ? I still haven't figured that out.
I guess,with a few variations, the avaition world in India has come a full circle. Once again, the Govt. is stepping in to "protect" the underdogs(due apologies).Will they implement it?absolutely.Will it be successful? .
Thanks for listening/reading.
Alt3.